An economist assistant is needed for immediate employment at the U.S Embassy. All interested persons are to go through this post to see the full details of this job.
Job Title: Economic Assistant – U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-035RA
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series/Grade: FP – 1505 5
Promotion Potential: FP-5
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path:bOpen to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM – FS is 05. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Secret/Confidential Clearance
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Basic Functions of the Position:
- The incumbent undertakes economic research and analysis; writes cables and reports; develops contacts in host government ministries, departments, and agencies, as well as in NGOs, international organizations, and businesses
- Tracks GoN priorities as well as host country participation in and progress toward USG priorities; develops and engages contacts within USG agencies relevant to the portfolio
- Delivers demarches, organizes meetings for the Ambassador, DCM and Economic Counselor
- Briefs Economic personnel on issues relevant to the portfolio; serves as control officer for official visits; represents the Embassy at in-country functions; represents the Economic Section in Embassy committees and working groups.
- The position requires Secret Clearance.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Two years of University Studies is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ of work experience relevant to the major duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Experience demonstrating effective interpersonal engagement and communication skills is required.
- Knowledge of U.S .Government and Department of State structure and operation is required.
- This may be tested.
- Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluency in English language is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good analytical and drafting skills, public speaking and interpersonal skills are required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office software suite is required.
Equal Employment and Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Application Closing Date
1st August, 2022.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret clearance.
- To apply for this position click the APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process.
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement.
- Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Degree (with transcript)
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.