UNICEF is currently seeking for qualified applicants who can take the vacant position of an education officer. Check below for the full details of the position:
Job Title: Education Officer, NOB
- Employment Type: Contract
- Location: Sokoto, Nigeria
- Job no: 557495
- Level: NO-2
- Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
- Categories: Education
Other posts you might like to see:
- WASH Manager at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Operations Specialist (Risk Compliance) at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) REACH Programme – WCARO
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the guidance and general supervision of the Education Manager, the Education Officer supports the development and preparation of the Education programmes and is responsible for contributing to the management, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the progress of education programmes/projects within the country programme.
- Particularly, the Officer provides technical support on all aspects of capacity development of formal and non-formal education to facilitate the administration and achievement of results on education programmes/projects towards the improvement of learning outcomes for all boys and girls and youth, through alternative learning, Islamic Education and its integration into formal education initiatives, including boys and girls affected by community level degenerating safety, who are marginalized, disadvantaged, and excluded in society.
- The Officer contributes to achievement of results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM), as well as UNICEF’s Strategic Plans, standards of performance, and accountability framework.
Summary of Key Functions / Accountabilities
Support to Programme Development and Planning:
- Contribute to the preparation and updating of the situation analysis for the development, design and management of education related programmes/projects. Research and report on development trends (economic, social, health etc.) and data for use in programme development, management, monitoring, evaluation and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development and establishment of sectoral programme goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through research, collection, analysis and reporting of education and other related information for development planning and goal setting.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing and administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials and documentations, and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support programme planning, results-based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluation of results.
- Support the preparation, design and updating of the situation analysis for the education programmes with a focus on non-formal education to ensure that current and comprehensive data on access to alternative learning and on education issues is available to guide UNICEF’s strategic policy, advocacy, intervention and development efforts on education programmes.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal colleagues and external partners to discuss strategies and methodologies, and to determine national priorities to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
Programme Management, Monitoring and Delivery of Results:
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal colleagues and partners to collect, analyze and share information on implementation issues to support learning outcome through the improvement of delivery in schools and non-formal learning centers and support learning assessment related interventions, training and materials development for non-formal, integrated Qur’anic education (IQE) and accelerated education
- Suggest solutions on routine learning outcome and capacity development-related programme implementation and submit reports to alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decisions. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity.
- Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders.
- Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare draft inputs particularly those related to sector capacity development and learning outcomes for programme/donor reporting.
Technical and Operational Support to Programme Implementation:
- Undertake field visits and surveys and share information with stakeholders to assess progress and refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on education related issues to support programme implementation, operations and delivery of results.
- In collaboration with the relevant specialists, provide technical leadership for training development, including revision of existing training resources for teachers and facilitators on learning programmes, delivered through the formal or non-formal education systems and settings, as well as learning outcome assessment.
- Participate in education programme meetings including programme development and contingency planning to provide technical and operational information and analysis, advice and support.
- Contribute to draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use.
Networking and Partnership Building:
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve and sustain results on education programmes.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and alliances, and support fund raising for education programmes.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings and events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of education programmes/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF’s position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
- Contribute to the preparation and conduct of stakeholder discussions around learning outcomes, Formal and Non-Formal Education policy design and implementation, curriculum, materials and assessment.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Contribute to identifying, capturing, synthesizing, and sharing lessons learned for knowledge development and capacity development of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Research and report on best and cutting-edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
To Qualify as an Advocate For Every Child You Will Have
- Education: A University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Education, Psychology, Sociology or any relevant Technical field.
- Experience: A minimum of two years of professional experience in programme planning, management, and/or research in education is required.
- Experience working in a relevant role in the NW of Nigeria is considered as an asset.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in English and local language of the duty station is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is considered as an asset.
For every Child, You Demonstrate
- UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it.
UNICEF Competencies Required for this Post are:
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Drive to achieve results for impact
- Innovates and embraces change
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Works collaboratively with others.
Application Closing Date
9th December, 2022 (W. Central Africa Standard Time).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF.
- UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.