The Chinese language is known to be one of the more difficult languages to learn due to its many dialects and regional grammatical differences.
Mandarin, or standard Chinese is the official language of Taiwan and the People’s Republic of China. Singapore also considers Mandarin Chinese as one of its four official languages.
Although phonology of Mandarin Chinese is supported mainly by the Beijing dialect, the vocabulary emerges from a diverse and very large selection of standard Chinese dialects spoken in all parts of China except the western area.
A tonal language, Mandarin Chinese differs from southern Mandarin because of its use of fewer vowels but more initial consonants and compound words.
Admission Requirements for Chinese Studies
Direct Entry Requirements:
- Two (2) ‘A’ Level passes or NCE French for French programme.
- Two (2) ‘A’ Level passes or NCE in any subjects.
- For programme A, five (5) SSC credit passes including English Language and French.
- For Programme B, credit passes in English Language and four (4) other subjects.
UTME Subjects Combination / Requirements:
- For Programme A, English, French and any other two (2) subjects.
- For Programme B, English and any three (3) subjects.
Nigerian Universities Offering Chinese Studies
Kaduna State University (KASU)
Kaduna State University is a State University located at Kaduna in Kaduna State, Nigeria and established in 2004 | Official Website: kasu.edu.ng
University of Lagos (UNILAG)
University of Lagos is a Federal University located at Akoka, Yaba Lagos in Lagos State, Nigeria and established in 1962 | Official Website: unilag.edu.ng
Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Akwa (UNIZIK)
Nnamdi Azikiwe University is a Federal University located at Awka in Anambra State, Nigeria and established in 1992 | Official Website: unizik.edu.ng