National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos-NOUN Courses & Admission Requirements
The below information is to enhance a better knowledge to the entire public about the courses and admission requirements of National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos (NOUN) . All the necessary information needed are given so I advise you to stick to this post as it will be of great benefit.
The aim is to ensure that those who are interested in this piece of information will be very much updated on all that is needed and necessary to know.
About the University
The National Open University of Nigeria is a federal open and distance learning (ODL) institution, the first of its kind in the West African sub-region. It is Nigeria’s largest tertiary institution in terms of student number and is popularly referred to as ‘NOUN’.
- An applicant for undergraduate admission into NOUN is normally expected to have a minimum of 5 O-level credits including English Language and Mathematics.
- Additional requirements might apply for some programmes and these can be viewed after selecting the Programme and entry level at the Faculty’s admission page.
- To apply for a programme, select the Faculty, choose the programme and entry level so that the View Requirement button is enabled. Clicking this button will reveal the corresponding entry requirement and enable the Apply button on the pre-payment application page.
- Fill in all the remaining details on the page before submitting.
- On successful submission of the pre-payment form, you are redirected to Remita to obtain an RRR invoice which should be used to effect payment for the application form.
- An applicant who pays online using a payment card will automatically obtain the online form which must be filled before submission.
- Applicants who pay through a bank branch must click on “Continue After Payment” and enter their Unique ID and RRR. They are also given the opportunity to change the Programme applied for.
- Applicants who had paid using an RRR generated last semester or earlier must restart the application process upto the point when they are re-directed to remita. They should now use the newly generated UniqueID with the old RRR used for payment when they click Proceed after payment.
- In all cases a successful payment will lead to the generation of an online application form which should be filled before submission online. The admission process is automated and the outcome is virtually instantaneous!
- To qualify for admission into any of the postgraduate programmes of the University, a candidate must meet, among others, all matriculation requirements of at least five (5) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics. Some programmes accept at least a pass in Mathematics.
- For Postgraduate Diploma Programmes, Candidates must possess either a minimum of pass Bachelors Degree in any discipline from a University recognised by the Senate of the NOUN OR a Higher National Diploma with a minimum of Lower Credit. For the Postgraduate Diploma in Legislative Drafting, the candidate must have been called to the Bar. Also for admission into the school of Business and Human Resource Management Postgraduate Diploma programmes, candidates with professional qualifications such as ACA, ACIS, ACIB, ACII, ACIA, etc may be considered on individual merit.
- For Master degree programmes, candidates must possess either a Bachelors Degree with a minimum of second class lower in the relevant field of study from a University recognized by the Senate of the NOUN. However, holders of lower classification and with a minimum of 2 years of relevant post-qualification experience may be considered on individual merit OR a Postgraduate Diploma in related field of study from a recognized University OR A Higher National Diploma with a minimum of Upper Credit in the relevant field of study. Candidate with membership certificate of relevant professional bodies may apply for the Master of Business (MBA) programme.
- For the Doctor of Philosophy Degree prorammes, candidates must possess a masters degree in relevant field of study from a University recognized by the Senate of the NOUN with a minimum score average of not less than 60% or a cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.5 on a 5-point scale.
Admission Requirements into NOUN For 200 LEVEL (For Direct Entry)
Here’s the NOUN management board requirements for direct Entry Admission.
i. You must have a National Diploma, which should come from a recognized institutions in Nigeria.
ii. You are also required to have a Nigerian Certificate in Education (NCE) in subject(s) which are very relevant to YOUR proposed programme of study with a minimum of one merit and two (2) passes.
iii. Likewise, International Baccalaureates, Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) with at least two ‘A’ level papers in relevant subjects and prerequisites number of ‘O’ level credit passes.
Admission Requirements into NOUN For Masters
1: You are required to have a first degree from a University which MUST be recognized by the Senate of NOUN in a related field of study. (Almost all National Universities Commission (NUC) approved Universities are recognized by NOUN)
2: You are also required to have a postgraduate diploma in a related field from a University which MUST be recognized by Management of NOUN, this would go a long way, in helping you be admitted too.
3: The school senate also accepts a good honours degree in Education (Arts, Languages, Sciences, Social Sciences, Vocational and Technical subjects) from any University which is recognized by NOUN.
4: The Senate also confirms, that holders of HND (with a minimum of Upper Credit) from institutions recognized by the Senate of NOUN, in a related field of study are accepted to come for their Masters in NOUN.
5: Members of relevant professional bodies may apply for the Master of Business (MBA) programme. Relevant professional bodies, includes companies which are recognized, or registered in Nigeria.
We do advice you, if you’re going for your MBA programme, you can give the school senate more information about your professional body and they might accept you. The senate of NOUN, has made admission into NOUN as easy as possible.
Admission Requirements into NOUN For PHD
What is the meaning of PHD? PHD is also known and called doctorate. This is the highest degree which is awarded by a graduate school, and this degree is usually awarded to a person who has completed at least three years of graduate study.
1: Candidates who are going for the Doctor of Philosophy degree programmes, should note, that the school senate has made it mandatory, that all applicants Must possess a masters degree in relevant fields of study from a University which is recognised by the Senate of the NOUN.
Take note, that you must posses this Master degree with a minimum score average of not less than 60% or a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.5 on a 5-point scale.
2: Aspiring candidates who are going for the Ph. D Programmes in NOUN, should take note, that they will be invited for an interactive session with the School of Postgraduate Studies before an offer of admission is made to them.
3: The NOU.org.ng team, also wish to notify and ADVISES all candidates going for admission into NOUN for PHD programmes, that they are to forward the following listed below:
a) Transcripts of their academic records,
b) Also forward three (3) referees report, and two of these referees must be from persons very well acquainted with the candidate’s academic work.
The above required items should be forwarded to the Dean of the School from which admission is requested.
NOUN COURSES AND PROGRAMMES.
- AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION AND MANAGEMENT
- AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE AND EDUCATION
- BUSINESS EDUCATION
- CHRISTAIN THEOLOGY
- COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY
- COMPUTER SCIENCE
- CONFLICT AND PEACE RESOLUTION
- COOPERATIVE MANAGEMENT
- CRIMINOLOGY AND SECURITY STUDIES
- DATA MANAGEMENT
- EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
- EDUCATION AND BIOLOGY
- EDUCATION AND CHEMISTRY
- EDUCATION AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- EDUCATION AND FRENCH
- EDUCATION AND INTEGRATED SCIENCE
- EDUCATION AND MATHEMATICS
- EDUCATION AND PHYSICS
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
- ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- FRENCH AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
- HOTEL AND CATERING MANAGEMENT
- HOTEL AND TOURISM MANAGEMENT
- ISLAMIC STUDIES
- MASS COMMUNICATION
- MATHEMATICS WITH COMPUTER SCIENCE
- NURSING/NURSING SCEINCE
- PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
- PRIMARY EDUCATION STUDIES
- PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
- PUBLIC HEALTH SCIENCE
- SHIPPING AND MARITIME TECHNOLOGY
- TOURISM STUDIES
For more education, job updates and recommendations, visit mextechy.com.ng