The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation (NHEF) has introduced its 7th Annual Scholarship Essay Competition, which sets to encourage vital pondering amongst college college students on topical socio-economic points related to Nigeria’s sustainable development and growth. This years competition focuses on “The CBN Naira redesign coverage and its impact on the Nigerian economic system & the consequence of elevated mind drain on the economic system,” given the nation’s present monetary and financial state of affairs.
NHEF Scholarship Essay Competition Theme and Topics
The 2023 NHEF Essay Competition focuses on “The CBN Naira redesign policy and its impact on the Nigerian economic system & the consequence of elevated mind drain on the economy”. Members can select between the two essay topics:
- Resulting to the latest currency redesign policy, the Central Bank of Nigeria reported that about 84.71% of the N3.23 trillion currency in circulation was outside the banking system. A state of affairs described to be a threat to its currency management accountability. Utilizing related examples, critically analyze the professionals & cons of the monetary policy implementation and supply suggestions to the CBN for future policy implementation primarily based on the resultant challenges experienced nationwide.
2.Article 13, section 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states “Everybody has the right to leave the country, including his own, and to return to his nation”. This statement agrees with the Nigerian constitution on the right to Freedom of Movement. Nonetheless, a major increase in mind drain may be labeled as an anomaly for any economic system. Critically analyze the elements inflicting human capital flight in Nigeria and suggest related options to safeguard the nation’s financial development and growth.
NHEF Scholarship Essay Competition Prizes
- The Grand Prize winner will get the sum of ₦100,000, a brand new laptop , 1 on-line certificate course*, a 1-year internet subscription**, and 1 year of college tuition.
- The First Runner-up will get the sum of ₦75,000, a 1-year internet subscription**, and 1 year of college tuition.
- The Second Runner-up will get the sum of ₦50,000, a 1-year internet subscription**, and 1 yr of college tuition.
*The online certificates course could may not exceed $100 on Udemy, Coursera, Alison or EDX.
**1-year internet subscription estimated at 24Gb on the winner’s preferred mobile network.
NHEF Scholarship Essay Competition Eligibility
The competition is open to college students enrolled at NHEF partner Universities, together with Ahmadu Bello University, Bayero University, Kano, Kwara State university, University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and the University of Port Harcourt. NHEF will confirm the enrollment of every contestant with the University Registrar. Previous NHEF Essay Competition & Scholars Program beneficiaries are not eligible to participate in this competition.
NHEF Scholarship Essay Competition Criteria for Submission
The guidelines for essay submission are as follows:
- The essay should reflect the author’s ability to explore and discuss ideas/ethical concepts and demonstrate the conduct of research with a sufficiently detailed summary.
- Only one entry may be submitted per student.
- The essay must include a title page, a bibliography, and a scanned copy of the contestant’s current Student ID.
- The student’s name, university, and registration ID# must appear in the header of each page.
- The essay must not exceed 2000 words.
- It must be double-spaced, 12pt Times New Roman font, and contain numbered pages with one-inch margins, excluding the bibliography and title page.
- References in the essay should be included and clearly identified.
Hot to Submit Entries for NHEF Scholarship Essay Competition
The format for essay submission is as follows:
- The document naming convention should be: 2023 NHEF Essay Competition – Name of Applicant, e.g., 2023 NHEF Essay Competition – Adekunle Ciroma Ahmed.
- Entries must be submitted in PDF format.
- All entries must be submitted via the NHEF Application Portal (https://portal.thenhef.org/) by 11:59 p.m. (WAT) on April 7, 2023.
- Students are encouraged to avoid plagiarism, as the essays will be checked for intellectual authenticity and against Artificial Intelligence (AI) generated content, e.g., ChatGPT.
- A helpful guide on how to avoid plagiarism is provided here.