The University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) hereby invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for admissions into 2023/2024 academic session of the School of Preliminary Studies’ (SPS) Programme. Admitted SPS candidates who pass the school’s examinations at the end of the programme and obtain the minimum UTME cut-off point approved by the University SHALL be considered for admission into degree programmes based on performance and quota for each programme.
Also Check these:
The best ten (10) students in each of the subject areas of Sciences, Arts and Commercial in the SPS final examinations who also meet the University entry requirements are now given opportunities of admission into all courses in the University like Anatomy, Physiology, Doctor of Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Doctor of Ophthalmology, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, Economics, Accounting, Banking and Finance, English Language etc., EXCEPT MB;BS and LAW, in addition to the under-listed courses offered at the SPS.
- B. Aquaculture and Fisheries
- B.Sc. (Ed.) Human Kinetics
- B.Sc. Architecture
- B. Agric
- B.A. (Ed.) Christian Studies
- B.Sc. Estate Management
- B. Forestry and Wildlife
- B.A. (Ed.) Islamic Studies
- B.Sc. Quantity Surveying
- B.Sc. Food Science
- B.A. (Ed.) French
- B.Sc. Surveying & Geo-informatics
- B.Sc. Home Economics
- B.A. (Ed.) History
- B.Sc. Urban & Regional Planning
- B.A. History & International Studies
- B.A. (Ed.) Yoruba
- B.Sc. Chemistry
- B.A. Christian Studies
- B.Sc. (Ed.) Biology
- B.Sc. Geology & Mineral Science
- B.A. Islamic Studies
- B.Sc. (Ed.) Chemistry
- B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry
- B.A. Comparative Religious Studies
- B.Sc. (Ed.) Computer Science
- B.Sc. Mathematics
- B.A. French
- B.Sc. (Ed.) Mathematics
- B.Sc. Physics
- B.A. Linguistics
- B.Sc. (Ed.) Technology Education
- B.Sc. Statistics
- B.A. Performing Arts
- B.Eng. Biomedical Engineering
- B.Sc. Political Science
- B.A. Yoruba
- B.Eng. Food Science and Technology
- B.Sc. Geography & Environmental Management
- B.A. Hausa
- B.Eng. Materials & Metallurgical Engineering
- B.Sc. Sociology
- B.A. Igbo
- B.Eng. Agric & Biosystems Engineering
- B.Sc. Criminology & Security Studies2
- B.Sc. Microbiology
- B.Eng. Chemical Engineering
- B.Sc. Social Work
- B.Sc. Plant Biology
- B.Eng. Civil Engineering
- B.Sc. Psychology
- B.Sc. Zoology
- B.Eng. Computer Engineering
- B.Sc. Biochemistry
- B.Eng. Electrical Engineering
- B.Eng. Mechanical Engineering
- B.Eng. Water Resources & Environmental Engineering
Category 1: Arts and Arts Education:
Specific requirements: Department of Psychology requires credit grade in Biology at O’ level and candidates choosing the course must sit for Biology at UTME. The UTME Subjects’ combination for other Social Sciences courses are English, Economics, Government and anyone of Geography and Commerce.
Duration of Programme: The programme is for a duration of one academic session.
The preliminary studies’ programme is primarily opened to applicants from the Catchment States of the University of Ilorin, (i.e. Benue, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, Sokoto and Zamfara States). However, applicants from other states of the Federation are also given considerable opportunities.
- Without prejudice to the admission requirements stated above, the Board of the School, in its policy thrust of inclusiveness in university education, has approved that applicants who have credit pass in minimum of three (3) O’ Level subjects may apply for the programme: PROVIDED that they MUST have registered for and obtained credit pass in the deficient subjects before being considered for admission into degree programme.
- Candidates who want to study Engineering must obtain credit grades in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics at O’level and sit for English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics at UTME.
- Candidates MUST write the 2024 UTME with relevant subjects’ combination to any programme in either Arts or Sciences and MUST obtain the minimum UTME cutoff point approved by the University.
- Consideration for admission into programmes shall be based on performance and quota for each programme.
- Students who passed the school’s end of the programme examinations but could not obtain the minimum JAMB/UTME cutoff point approved by the university can BANK the Remedial result for use the following year only: PROVIDED that the minimum JAMB/UTME cutoff point approved for the following year is obtained.
- Applicants are to note that the programme is residential.
Applicants must pass five subjects at credit level at not more than two sittings in the SSCE/GCE conducted by WAEC, NECO or NABTEB which should include the major subjects of study. Two of the five subjects must be from Arts while the other subjects may be from the Social Sciences. Note that credit grades in English Language and Mathematics are compulsory for eventual admission into any programme at the University of Ilorin.
Note: There is no preliminary programme for B.A. (Hons.) English
Category 2: Agriculture, Engineering and Technology, Environmental Sciences, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Science Education, and Technology Education
Applicants must pass the following subjects at credit level: English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics at NOT more than two sittings in the SSCE/GCE conducted by WAEC, NECO or NABTEB
Specific requirements: Faculty of Agriculture will accept credit grade in Agricultural science in lieu of credit grade in Biology.
Category 3: Social Sciences
Applicants must pass the following subjects at credit level: English Language, Mathematics and three from Economics, Government, Geography and Commerce at NOT more than two sittings in the SSCE/GCE conducted by WAEC, NECO or NABTEB
Venue of Programme:
The venue of the programme shall be at the School of Preliminary Studies, Fufu, Ilorin South Local Government Headquarters, Kwara State.
Method of Application (UNILORIN):
Candidates are to visit the University of Ilorin website and follow the link for the 2023/2024 Remedial Application. Application forms are to be completed online after a payment of N15, 000.00 (Fifteen Thousand Naira) only aside application fee charged for using Inter-switch enabled ATM card (Master or Verve card) by the concerned body.
After the completion of the form, each candidate MUST download a Local Government Confirmation Form which MUST be endorsed by the Chairman/Secretary of his/her local Government Area.
A candidate who is offered admission will be expected to bring the form and SSCE/GCE certificates/result slips during registration.
Classes begin on Monday, 23rd October, 2023.
Mr. M. A. Alfanla Registrar