West African Research Association Scholarship Overview
In collaboration with the Mastercard Foundation, the West African Research Association (WARA) is pleased to announce its Ideas Matter Doctoral Fellowships programme to support young West African students for the academic year 2022-2023.
This West African Research Association scholarship is open to doctoral students under age 35.
To be eligible, the applicants must be based in West African higher education institutions for research on the continent. The five selected applicants will be awarded a grant of $4,000 each.
Founded in 1898, the West African Research Association is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the promotion of research on West Africa and the Diaspora, scholarly exchange;
the dissemination of accurate information on West Africa and its diasporic communities, and increasing awareness of the critical place of West Africa in the global community.
The five winning candidates will be awarded $4,000 each to contribute to the overall cost of education incurred by them at any West African university or institute.
- Eligible Countries: All African students are eligible to apply for this West African Research Association scholarship.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Students must apply for a PhD study in West African higher education institutions.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants must be doctoral students under age 35 based in West African higher education institutions for research on the continent.
- How to Apply: Students must make their admission applications via the respective application portals of their chosen universities or institutes.
Applications for the fellowship must be made on this page.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Project abstract (50-80 words)
- 1500-word proposal Budget
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement explaining how your research will contribute to meeting critical needs on the continent
- Admission Requirements: The applicants must meet the entry and academic requirements of the course and university they wish to apply for.
- Language Requirement: The students must meet the language requirements of the institute they have applied for.