So you’ve decided to pursue an MBA. That’s great news – an MBA can open up amazing opportunities and advance your career in ways you never imagined. But MBAs don’t come cheap. The costs of business school can be staggering, even if you get into a good program. That’s why scholarships like the Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship are so important. This scholarship provides full funding for some of the top MBA programs in the US and Europe for students from developing countries in Africa. For the lucky recipients, it’s a chance at a world-class education that could change not just their lives but their communities and countries. Keep reading to find out why the Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship matters and how it’s empowering the next generation of leaders and entrepreneurs in Africa.
Overview of the Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship
The Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship provides full funding for some of the brightest minds from developing countries to study at top business schools around the world.
Overview of the Scholarship
The Leventis Foundation believes that education and training are key to social and economic progress. Their MBA Scholarship program identifies high-potential candidates from developing nations in Africa, Asia and Latin America and provides them the opportunity to earn a Master of Business Administration degree at leading global business schools.
- The scholarship covers all expenses for the duration of the MBA program including:
- Tuition and fees
- Living stipend
- Travel expenses
- Health insurance
- To be eligible, you must be from a developing country, have at least 2 years of work experience, and meet the admission criteria of the business schools you apply to.
- The scholarship is very competitive, but if selected, you’ll have the chance to learn from world-class professors, build a global network, and develop the business skills to become a leader in your field.
This life-changing opportunity can open up new career paths and allow you to make a bigger impact. If you have the motivation and potential to excel in an MBA program, the Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship may be your ticket to success.
Eligibility Requirements for the Leventis MBA Scholarship
To be considered for the Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship, you’ll need to meet a few requirements.
First, you must be a citizen of one of the following countries: Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya or Zimbabwe. The Leventis Foundation aims to support students from these target countries.
Second, you should have an undergraduate degree from an accredited university with a strong academic record. Competitive candidates typically have at least a 3.0 GPA or equivalent.
Finally, you must be accepted into an MBA program at a top business school, preferably one focused on emerging markets and sustainability. The Leventis Foundation prioritizes schools and programs that align with their mission to promote excellence, entrepreneurship and ethical leadership in Africa.
If you meet these eligibility criteria, apply for the Leventis MBA Scholarship on the Foundation’s website. Be prepared to submit transcripts, test scores, references and an essay on your leadership potential and commitment to Africa’s development.
The Leventis Foundation receives many more applications than they are able to fund each year. But for the select students who are awarded a scholarship, it opens the door to a world-class MBA education and a lifetime network that will help them transform Africa for the better.
Key Benefits of Receiving the Leventis MBA Scholarship
Receiving the Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship provides several meaningful benefits.
- Financial Support The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition for the MBA program at AAU as well as providing a living stipend. This allows you to focus on your studies without worrying about finances. The value of the scholarship is over $50,000 USD per year.
- Career Opportunities The Leventis MBA opens doors to career opportunities you may not have access to otherwise. The program provides internships, mentorship, and networking connections that can lead to job offers after graduation. Many Leventis MBA scholars go on to leadership roles in business, finance, tech, and other fields.
- Community: As part of the Leventis MBA program, you join a tight-knit community of scholars and alumni. You’ll bond over shared experiences in the program and support each other’s growth. The community also provides mentorship and guidance to help you get the most out of your education.
- Personal Growth: An MBA from AAU, strengthened by the Leventis Foundation’s support, allows for immense personal growth. You’ll develop skills like critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving that will benefit you for life. Studying in a new place, with scholars from around the world, leads to a broader, more open perspective.
The Leventis MBA Scholarship is truly life-changing, providing opportunities and experiences that shape both your career and your character. For ambitious, civic-minded students, it is an unparalleled honor and chance to maximize your potential.
Notable Leventis MBA Scholarship Recipients
Notable Leventis MBA Scholarship Recipients
The Leventis Foundation has awarded MBA scholarships to many notable recipients over the years. Some of the most well-known include:
• Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former Nigerian Finance Minister and World Bank executive. She received an MBA from Harvard University as a Leventis Scholar in 1978. She went on to have an illustrious career fighting corruption and improving economic growth in Nigeria.
• Aliko Dangote, billionaire industrialist and Africa’s richest man. He was awarded an MBA from Harvard University as a Leventis Scholar in 1978. He built Dangote Group into a multi-billion dollar conglomerate spanning cement, sugar, salt, and other commodities.
• Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, the first female Director-General of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. She earned an MBA from University of Lagos as a Leventis Scholar in 1978. She helped overhaul the Nigerian Stock Exchange, introducing reforms to improve transparency and governance.
• Herbert Wigwe, CEO of Access Bank, one of Nigeria’s largest banks. He received an MBA from University of Nigeria as a Leventis Scholar in 1991. Under his leadership, Access Bank has become a pan-African financial institution, expanding into nine countries across the continent.
The Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship program has clearly produced many influential leaders and visionaries over the decades. By investing in the education of Nigeria’s best and brightest, the program helps ensure a strong future for Nigeria’s development and prosperity.
How to Apply for the Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship
To apply for the prestigious Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship, follow these key steps:
Meet the Eligibility Criteria
First, ensure you meet the eligibility criteria, including being a citizen of Nigeria or Ghana, having an undergraduate degree, and securing admission to an MBA program at an approved university.
Submit Your Application
Next, submit your application for the scholarship through the Foundation’s online portal before the deadline, typically in February of each year. You will need documents like your academic transcripts, admission letter, a personal statement outlining your leadership potential, and reference letters from professors or employers. Take your time to ensure all materials are included and double check for any errors before submitting.
Attend an Interview
If selected from the initial application pool, you will be invited to interview with the scholarship selection committee, either in person or via video call. Come prepared to discuss your background, experience, future goals, and how you will contribute to society after completing your MBA. Dress professionally, make eye contact, smile, and speak confidently about your passion for the program.
Be Named a Finalist
Finalists are selected from a pool of strong applicants and interviewees. If chosen as a finalist, start preparing for the next round, which may include additional interviews, assessments or presentations. Stay enthusiastic—you’re getting close!
With hard work and persistence, you have a shot at joining the ranks of Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship recipients. Keep your eyes on the end goal and don’t get discouraged. If at first you don’t succeed, try again next year. The skills and connections gained through this life-changing opportunity will open doors for you and allow you to open doors for others.
The Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship provides a life-changing opportunity for promising students from developing countries to earn a prestigious MBA. By covering tuition and living expenses at leading business schools around the world, this scholarship opens doors that would otherwise remain closed for talented but underprivileged individuals.
Over the past 30+ years, the Leventis Foundation has supported over 600 students from more than 30 countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America. For the recipients, this scholarship is a chance to gain knowledge and skills that will empower them to become leaders in their home countries. It allows them to build professional networks that can lead to meaningful partnerships and collaborations down the road.
Upon graduating, Leventis scholars return home equipped with an international education and a commitment to positive change. They are well-positioned to tackle complex challenges, whether launching a startup, reforming policy, or working within an established company. Their achievements have a ripple effect, raising standards of living and creating new opportunities in their communities.
For the schools and students involved, the Leventis MBA Scholarship promotes diversity and cross-cultural exchange. It exposes all participants to new perspectives and ways of thinking that enrich the learning experience. The relationships formed during this program often lead to continuing bonds between institutions and across borders.
In today’s globalized world, the Leventis Foundation’s vision and generosity are more important than ever. By investing in emerging leaders from developing nations, this scholarship plants seeds of progress that will shape our shared future. Its impact reminds us of the power that access to education and social capital can have in changing lives, and ultimately, changing the world for the better.
So there you have it. A full-ride scholarship to one of the top business schools in Africa could be life changing. The opportunity to learn from world-class professors, build a powerful network, and gain the skills to become an innovative leader is truly priceless. If you’re an aspiring business leader in Nigeria or Ghana, the Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship is worth applying for. Who knows, you could be next to land this opportunity of a lifetime. What do you have to lose? Take a chance and apply. Your future self will thank you for it.
Frequent asked question about leventis foundation mba scholarship
The Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship is highly sought after, so you likely have a few questions about it. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions and their answers:
What value does the scholarship provide?
The Leventis Foundation MBA Scholarship provides full tuition, a living stipend, and travel expenses for the entire MBA program at selected business schools. This generous scholarship makes an MBA education accessible for talented students from developing countries in Africa.
What are the eligibility criteria?
To be eligible for the Leventis MBA Scholarship, you must be a citizen of a developing country in Africa, have an excellent academic record with at least 3 years of full-time work experience, and be fluent in English. Strong leadership abilities and community involvement are also preferred.
What schools accept the Leventis Scholarship?
The Leventis Foundation partners with top-ranked business schools around the world that offer MBA programs, including Harvard Business School, Stanford Graduate School of Business, INSEAD, and London Business School. The scholarship is very competitive, with only a few students selected each year to attend these prestigious schools.
What is the application process?
The application process includes submitting an online application with your CV, academic transcripts, test scores, references, and a personal essay. If selected for an interview, you will interview with representatives from the Leventis Foundation and the school you applied to. Successful candidates are offered admission to the school as well as the MBA scholarship.
How can I maximize my chances of winning?
To maximize your chances, focus on gaining valuable work experience, pursuing opportunities to develop your leadership skills, and engaging in community service. Build a compelling application that conveys your passion, motivation, and future goals. With hard work and perseverance, the Leventis MBA Scholarship can be within your reach.